Saturday, January 7, 2012

i tried to hit everything...

i finished my journal the other day. so, i took the time to go through it and think back on some of the things that happened this semester. it was very entertaining to read about the times i was frustrated and the times i was encouraged. here's what i wrote about that:

highlights:
-"i want to be more sensitive to the Lord's calling and whispers in my life" (8/23)
-frustration: "i want to move forward...to be able to make the sacrifices necessary (9/5)
-Acts 3:29-30 A Prayer for Boldness
-searching, earnestly praying for the Lord to bring someone
-next step?
-seek the Lord above man
-Shelby Taylor (10/6)
-first realization that results in my spiritual journey will not be immediate
-Kallie. PRAISE THE LORD!
-"be hopeful of what is to come, Avery!" 1 John 3:2-3
-first prayer for summer plans (10/23)
-Jenny Eason (10/23)
-Katey Zimmerman-first prayer about discipleship (10/23)
-USE. ME.
-still doubting security in the Lord. Philippians 3:3-4 (11/14)
-specific prayer for clarity about Kaleo (12/10)
-realization of reservations in my flesh and prayer. confirmation about Kaleo. (1/3)
-"my tongue will ever praise your name"

The Lord wanted to make himself known in my life this semester. Early this fall, I began to pray for the Lord to bring someone to disciple me. He answered my prayer on December 12th. He wanted to make sure my eyes were set on getting to know him better above all else. If I became too focused on meeting with one person and only learned from them, I would have been in a tough spot. I wouldn't say this semester was one wasted, but I would say I spent most of my time being selfish. At times I used ignorance and apathy as an excuse. I only cared about doing things that I thought would help me grow. But I have realized that I can't just take a timeout from my ministry because I am trying to learn something. The two--growth and ministry--go hand in hand. I have felt compassion for the lost girls I know. I have seen a vision of my purpose in Kappa at the U of A. Even if what I've seen is only a tiny, general glimpse, I know the Lord has placed each and every one of the believers on campus for specific reasons. I am ready to run full speed ahead into the work the Lord will call me to. He did teach me a lot about his character and my character and how they should complement each other perfectly. He has been slowly revealing to me the areas of my life that need work. Instead of being frustrated or discouraged by my convictions, I am hopeful because I know that this is simply the next step. Once the Lord reveals what needs to be fixed, I've got to fix it, and He is going to be there to help me.

--As I look back on the semester, I can see the Lord's hand in everything that happened. 1. I randomly decided this summer that I wanted to take a Greek language course. In this class, I met a girl who would become one of my closest friends, someone I can literally talk to about anything. And through her, I met so many other girls who really had an impact on me and the path I took this semester. 2. I randomly met a girl at her apartment. Didn't see or talk to her for a few weeks. Met her again at Starbucks. This is where one would say, "and the rest is history." I have never had a friend like her. The Lord has completely blessed our relationship and given me a love and appreciation for her that I can't explain. 3. I met a sophomore Kappa on bid day (but, let's be real, I met a LOT of people that did) and I didn't even remember her. She tweeted at me a couple weeks later. I decided, "I want to be friends with her." So I went to her apartment. We watched the Lizzie McGuire movie. We started spending more and more time together. Now, I trust her more than anyone else I have met. I look up to her and am constantly lifted up and encouraged by the time we spent together. ...... those are just a couple stories of strings of events that the Lord has used to really speak into my life and use the people around me to build me up. i don't know how this post got so long, but it was much needed.

knowing what i know now, i couldn't me more excited about this spring and summer. the Lord is moving. he's not done with me yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment